Saturday, March 2, 2013

Time to fly!!

You know how people tell you that you won't sleep well the night before you travel...it's true!! My case when I didn't sleep really well was my regular sleep schedule, my regular routine, excitement, and nerves. I stayed up late, because that is my regular schedule, and of course, it backfired in my face.

I woke up at 4am to leave the house at 4:30. My parents took me to the airport and things were going great. We were all tired, but we made it, (with minimal tears at departure...I was proud of myself!!), and I got through security to arrive at my gate, with plenty of time to spare.

I got on my first flight to San Francisco. There were not a lot of people on the flight and it was going to take 4 hours, so I was ready to go. I watched a movie, took a little nap, and then it was almost time to arrive, when the captain makes an announcement............

"We have received word that there is fog in San Francisco, and we are going to have to circle the airport for about 25 minutes until we are allowed to land. We have plenty of fuel, so we should be fine."

25 minutes pass as we go around and around and around. Then the captain makes another announcement:

"We are still not able to land, so we have been directed to go to Sacramento and refuel there, which should take about 15 minutes, then we will come back to San Francisco and land."

So, we head on over to Sacramento, land, refuel, then the captain makes another announcement:

"Since the weather is still bad in San Francisco, there were about 20 other planes that were diverted to Sacramento as well, so now there is a line to get back to San Francisco. As soon as we know, we'll head out."

We waited, I checked my watch. I had a 2 1/2 hour layover so I thought I had plenty of time. As time went on, I decided to say a little prayer. I know that there are reasons for things, and although I really wanted to get this plane in the air, I would deal with the outcome. I didn't really feel great after my prayer, but I have enough faith that things will get done.

When the captain made another announcement, that's when I panicked.

"Our latest update is that we may not leave for an hour and a half now. If you would like to get off the plane and eat, they will just need your boarding pass. Be back in 45 minutes."

That was when my brain exploded and panic set in!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment