This one document has been my biggest issue. I have been frustrated and stressed because of this piece of paper. Let me explain. (Oh, and this is a long one. I hope you're ready!)
To get an FBI Criminal Background Check, you fill out an application and get your fingerprints done at a police station. These things go to Virginia for the 6 week process to complete. Now, you're probably wondering why it takes 6 weeks. I was too! It turns out that anyone who needs fingerprints for things like adoptions and teaching in other countries, plus the other things I don't even know about, have to go through this 1 location to get this done. The paper goes into the machine and if they machine accepts it, you're good. They told me during one of my many phone calls, that they received 2,000 requests per day.
This is how my part of this started:
I filled out the application and then looked up when the police station in my neighborhood did fingerprints. They only did them 1 day a week for a few hours. I see why they would do that, but that didn't really help me any. Oh well. I went there when I could and the nice lady put the ink on my fingers and we put them on the card and then we were done. She said they looked good. I had no idea, but they looked fine to me, so I went to the post office with all my stuff and mailed it off.
I emailed Jiyeon and gave her an update. The FBI customer service message says that because of security and the number of requests they receive, that you can call back after 4 weeks to check on the status. I mailed it out the day after Thanksgiving, so I could call back 4 weeks later. Sounds good.
On the 4th week, I called them and all they could tell me was that they had my request and it was in the process. They couldn't tell me anything else. She said I could call back in a week and check again.
I called a week later and got about the same response.
Then the next week, it was Dec 31st, I got a package in the mail from the FBI. I WAS SOOOO EXCITED!!!!! I opened it and there was a letter and another fingerprint form. The letter said that my fingerprints were too light and were rejected by their machine. I needed to do them again, but they would waive the fee if I attached a copy of this letter with the new fingerprints. I was so disappointed, but I thought I would just hurry and do it again and turn them back in.
The next day was New Years, so the police station was closed. I went and tried anyway, but they were closed. The next day I was planning on going to do them, except that my brother called me and needed me to come over and help him. I took my stuff with me and was able to go to a different police station where they use a computer to scan your fingerprints instead of using the ink. It took some time, but I was able to get it done. I went to the post office and mailed it all in again.
A few days later, I called the FBI to see if they had received my new fingerprints. They didn't have any record of receiving them yet and wanted to know my tracking number for the package I sent them in. The tracking number would help them find it faster. I DIDN'T KNOW I COULD DO THAT!! Since I didn't have one, they wouldn't be able to find it as quickly, oh, and it was going to take another 6 weeks to get them done. The process starts all over again.
WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why?? Can't I just get back in line because I've already started this process? No. Really? No.
Well that's great. Thank you FBI!!??..
I emailed Jiyeon with a status update again. She called me and we both determined that me waiting another 6 weeks was not going to work. She told me to call and complain to them and tell them that I needed to have it back in 3 weeks. Oh, and around this time, I had already found a school and had a contract. *Do you see why I'm freaking out a bit??
After many failed attempts to get things sped up, my new "Hero Jiyeon" came to my rescue. She called them herself as an employer and somehow she got them to send it out within the week. This is just one more reason why I really like Jiyeon!!
A few days later, I got my completed check in the mail and then I got stuff ready to send it off to be Notarized and Apostilled in West Virginia. Lots of places and things to do for 1 piece of paper.
I'm glad it's all done, but it's been a tiny little nightmare for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment